Tuesday, September 8, 2009

In school speech, Obama says education key to country's future

It was a great idea for Obama to encourage students, but I think this also could potentially bring up a few issues for people who cannot afford school. Despite all the economical problems and increased debt due to student loans, Obama encourages all students to stay in school and keep studying. He says no matter what you plan on doing as a career, it will require you to have a high education. The more people who have an education will help make this country smarter and possibly more economically efficient.

Read Obama's speech to students here

There are a lot of people still out there who can have a better education, but they simply cannot afford it. There is pretty big margin of people who make just enough money to not be eligible for a government grant; thus, making us take out government or private loans. Last year, I earned about $20,000. This year, I remain job-less and not only do I not have a source of income, but I also have to pay for student loans. I don't mind the idea of student loans, but I think the policy for grant eligibility could be improved some. This way more students can be eligible which would lead to more people actually going to college.

Source:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/09/07/obama.school.speech/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment